In today’s globally competitive world, Quality in almost all kinds of products & services has become perhaps the most sought after factor.. People are willing and happy to pay a higher price for a product with higher, promised quality! Same is true for the software industry. The successful giant corporations in the IT industry, namely Microsoft, Google and DELL etc. have sky rocketed their businesses on the basis of amazing Quality Assurance services. Software Quality Assurance and testing activities are important for early start ups and well-established organizations alike.
Established firms perform QA activities to maintain their goodwill and increase their market share. However, startups have to strive to survive the competition as well as attract and retain customer base from scratch. Ignoring QA & Testing activities and considering them a cost burden could prove to be very riskier and costlier for startups.
Implementing SQA & Testing activities can benefit the startups in many ways; some of which are as follows:
- To verify, validate and to determine whether the software/application meets all the requirements and specifications that the client wants. Testing comes in very handy as test results help you identify the glitches in your build and can be fixed before you launch a product full of bugs and earn a bad name for your start up. A defect free product then keeps your client happy (which is very important, especially if you are in the early stages of your business) and also helps in establishing long-term relationships between you and your client.
- As P. D. Coward has quoted: “the principle objective of software testing is to give confidence in the software.” Being a startup firm; client’s confidence in your software means a lot as it attracts more customers & prospects.
- If you are looking for increased system integrity then making it quality assured is a must. Testing and Quality Assurance measures ensure that the system integrity will not be compromised as it has been made error free. Firms that employ security measures for confidential information are deemed to become number one choice for the clients.
- Being an IT startup firm, even though you manage to hire good and certified developers you can’t just trust them blindly and not test the software they create because it doesn’t matter how good a developer is at his job they won’t know (at least for the time being) how the software would work in the real world. As the famous saying goes “there is always one more bug to find”, testing the software/application might reveal some bugs/errors.
- Testing software simply adds value to it as it confirms that the software meets all the predefined goals and does exactly what it is supposed to do. It then also establishes even the software is doing things that it is not supposed to. Startup firms which provide tested and quality assured software are much preferred by both individuals and organizations. This preference will help such firms to make progress by leaps and bounds.
Anyhow, SQA & Testing measures are beneficial for the established and startup firms alike. Startups put a lot of efforts to acquire customers and if they fail to provide them what they want then all of their efforts are a waste of resources. Tested and Quality Assured software/applications keep the clients satisfied and for the startups; clients’ good word of mouth about their firm is a valuable asset, like none other. Many IT startups fail as soon as they ignore testing services because considering quality assurance and testing services to be just an additional cost is not a wise move. In fact such measures will help the firms to reduce development & maintenance costs.
Furthermore, testers and developers should work side by side in order to have a better understanding about the product because although developers might have great skills but they are still not immune to human error. Hence good development team, coupled with great Testing & Quality Assurance team is the recipe for an Amazing Product Launch and many steps closer to becoming a very successful startup.